Becker, Kellogg & Berry, P.C.

Available 24/7
Call us for a free consultation:


Personal Injury Attorneys With Years of Experience and Expertise Serving the Best

Photo of the legal professionals at Becker, Kellogg & Berry, P.C. --

Responding To Drunk Driving Accident FAQs

When someone gets behind the wheel while they are under the influence, they put everyone at risk. If you’ve been injured at the hands of someone else’s negligence, having an aggressive attorney is imperative. We will hold the drunk driver accountable. Becker, Kellogg & Berry, P.C. has handled cases throughout Virginia, Maryland and Washington, D.C. To start, read our list of frequently asked questions below. You should then contact us as soon as possible at 703-962-1829.

Q: Do I have to wait for criminal actions against the driver to be completed before a civil action can be filed?

A: No. You can file a civil suit before their current criminal action case is completed. As always, it is important to act quickly. We can discuss all of the potential options you are facing.

Q: What kind of penalties will the drunk driver face?

A: It depends on the case and whether or not this is their first offense. However, each state is different when it comes to specific consequences. In general, they will face jail time, a steep fine and the possibility of losing their license. Additionally, you may be entitled to receive punitive damages as part of your civil case if the drunk driver’s blood alcohol content (BAC) was at a certain minimum level. You should consult an attorney to determine if you’re entitled to receive punitive damages.

Q: How do we prove the driver was drunk?

A: As your representation, it is our job to help you build the strongest possible case. We do this by gathering all of the necessary evidence. We will talk to witnesses, get camera footage, and finely comb through the police report. We will do what is necessary to get you the best possible result.

Q: Should I accept the insurance company’s first offer?

A: Their primary goal is to pay the smallest possible settlement. It is best to talk to an experienced attorney to determine whether or not they are making a good offer. Chances are, you deserve more. We can help you demand justice.